Friday, April 2, 2010

"Autobiography in Five Chapters" from the Tibetan book of Living and Dying.

1) I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost....I am hopeless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

2) I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I'm in the same place. But it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

3) I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in....it's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

4) I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

5) I walk down another street.




This passage really spoke to me this morning. I feel it describes the personal journey I have been on for the last year. Difficult things keep happening for sure, but I see them so differently now that it brings about a better experience. It takes practice, but I'm so grateful for the ability to be flexible in my thoughts. For so many years, I lived in either chaos or rigidity. It was no way to live. This passage was a great reminder for me today..... so I thought I would share!

3 comments:

  1. Such a powerful parable, and one i've loved for a while. I'm trying really hard to be AWARE of my potholes and take a different path!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its taken me a long time to get to steps 4 and 5. very apt parable indeed. thanks jill. never seen dealing with life so well summed up. :) :)

    ReplyDelete